Micro:Bit vs Uridium

Update – The code for this can be found HERE if you’re interested in having a look. It’s very much a first pass at time of writing, but it works well enough to get the idea.


Yup, that’s 1980s throwback gaming sensation Uridium. On a Micro:bit!!!



Well, no not really. I was trying to use an old Nokia 5110 LCD screen as a Micro:bit display in Micropython, so I could get it to output more info without plugging it into a PC. But it turns out it was so slow that I pretty much would rather have beat myself to death with my own spleen than use it. So I thought I’d have a quick try at making it run a little better.

Anyway, it worked rather well as it happen – the frame rates jumped up by about 3000%. Although I should point out they were less than 1fps to start with so let’s not go mad here. And I’ve now got the reverse problem – I had to put in a 25ms delay between screen updates to stop the LCD from blurring or ghosting or whatever the cool kids are calling it today.

I’ll do a proper write up of this when I’ve got a little more time, as I’ve done a series of commands for working with characters (including a decent font) that could also be useful. Which is what I was trying to do in the first place before I lost the plot and started shoving 80s video games onto it.

Of course, now I’ve got a decent set of character tools, I’m probably going to have to do a Roguelike…

April 21st, 2017 by